No matter who you are, there is poetry out there that you can relate to. It doesn�t matter how old, educated or emotional you are, there�s always something out there for you. Here are some types of special poems that you might not even know existed.
Poems For All Ages
There are great poems for adults and kids alike. Shel Silverstein is known for his unique poetry that both kids and adults enjoy. There are also teen poems that talk about issues related to teenagers. Even great poets who usually wrote about the world of adults often wrote teen poems. This list includes Emily Dickinson, Christina Rossetti and William Shakespeare. For something that hits closer to home, teens can look at submission poetry sites where regular teenagers just like them have published their works.
Friendship poems are great for telling a good friend how you feel about them. Is it easy to tell a good friend how much they mean to you? We use words like �best friend� and �close friend,� but when you want to say something more, it�s good to look at friendship poems. Through poetry, you can go beyond the regular things we always say to each other and really describe your relationship. They can be cute, inspirational or very personal.
Poems For Every Emotion
One of the powerful things about poetry is that it can put our feelings into words in ways that we can�t ordinarily do ourselves. When you read a poem that describes exactly how you feel emotionally, you resonate with it. It helps you to realize that others have felt the way that you do, and it can also give you release when times are hard. This is why everyone loves emotional poems � poems that are happy, sad, dark, funny or angry.
Some of the greatest poetry doesn�t tackle grandiose themes. While some poetry deals with flowers, changing seasons or the philosophical problems of mankind, lots of great poets write life poetry about everything things that happen to them. Probably the best known of these is Charles Bukowski, who often wrote about things that happened to him at work and at the bar. Other poets who stuck to the things around them include Alan Dugan, Carl Sandburg, Allen Ginsberg and Etheridge Knight, just to name a few.
The Natural World Seen Through The Eyes Of A Poet
Although we all love poetry that describes emotions, relationships and everyday life, nature poetry can also be uplifting. Perhaps it is because we see some human aspect in the natural world around is. Some nature poems that talk about rivers running into the sea, for example, are really talking about the currents of life and not water. A thunderous sky can symbolize passion, or the opening of flower buds in spring can be a metaphor for youth.
Why We Need Poetry
Poetry is used to put into words things that are difficult ordinarily to say. Whether it takes the form of song lyrics or special poems read to a friend, poetry is about what it means to be alive and connected to the world around us.
Like this Article?
More on Special Poems
- Friendship Poems Friends have an important role in our lives. They celebrate with us in happy times, console us in sad. These poems illustrate perspectives on that relationship.
- Teacher Poems Teachers have a great influence over the growth and development of children. Everyone can remember favorite or least-favorite teachers from their youth.
- Mother to Son Poems The bond between a mother and child is the most primal of human relationships. Many poets have expressed the depth of this, either as a parent or as a child.
- Beauty Poems have captivated us for almost as long as beauty itself. It is a subjective experience and varies widely over time and across cultures.
- Name Poems Some of these poems are about names or particular individuals. Others are acrostics, in which the first letter of each line spells out a name.
- Teen Poems The concept of adolescence as a stage between childhood and adulthood is relatively recent, roughly correlating with requirements for compulsory education.
- American Poems In the 20th Century, American Poems have become pre-eminent in the world and have created new and different styles.
- Life Poems Life presents many challenges and obstacles for each of us to face and deal with. These poems offer advice and encouragement to do that.